Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mahely M21 Carabina... broken  (Read 1432 times)

Lurcher

• View Profile
Mahely M21 Carabina... broken
« on: July 20, 2011, 03:02:51 PM »
Hi,
    I found a Mahely M21 22LR semi auto in pieces whilst clearing out an old shed. Its all there apart from the front sight, but it has a broken reciever. Basically the threaded section has been sheared off so that it is impossible to screw the end cap back on again. I have the broken parts so maybe a repair is feasible.....  but I would rather have replacement parts if possible.
 Its a bit of a long shot, but does anyone have a Mahely reciever that they could be persuaded to part with?
These rifles I am guessing were bargain basement when 1st sold, so its not really going to be worth anything... just hate seeing something broken.

Cheers,

Lurcher.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 PM by Guest »

Mark Fletcher

• View Profile
Re: Mahely M21 Carabina... broken
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 11:43:10 AM »
Hi there, have been cleaning out deceased estate of my Father's found also my old Mahely M21 in sad condition, missing alot but alot of what you are after is there, started out looking for all the bits to rebuild it, but before found the old thing found the top wood also in sad cond. and ceremonially burned it on the fire to say goodbye!, so there is now a wood stock, barrel and receiver with thread end complete and intact and a magazine and misc. bag of bits, she was a good old girl if not prone to breaking down as they all did, yours for a small fee plus freight, I guess you can exchange emails here, fletchmw@orcon.net.nz, or would buy yours if you consider the other way around... thank you.

Lurcher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 06:29:31 AM »
well I never....   I will email you, cheers Mark!

Lurcher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 06:37:58 AM »
well the parts arived.

So I have an old gun with a broken reciever and all other bits apart from the front sight and the top wood, and a 'new' gun with a good reciever and a front sight - but as described, all the rest is pretty much for 'spares'.

The barrel almost fell out of the new gun after pushing out the cross pin, but would it go into the old reciever...   not without freezing it and heating up the reciever it wouldn't. And the front sight was similar. So a few ancient words were thrown around the garage... especially when I realised that on reassembly the barrel was a few degrees out of true, back to the vice and carefully twisted it round and all good - pin back in, all the internals fumbled back in and the action mated up to the stock and away we go.

Anyway, all reassembled now and test fired, which was a 10cm vertical string at 25 metres... but since the top wood (now re-made out of some scrap) was missing and the band was not locking the barrel down I guess I can forgive it that.

Now its over to my daughter and the wire wool to refinish it.... and then its scope time, or red dot, not sure which yet.

I'll post some pics soon.

Matty-o

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 07:39:41 PM »
Quote from: "Lurcher"
I'll post some pics soon.

They will be intersting I'm sure!

Monsterbishi

• View Profile
    • My homepage.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 09:24:54 AM »
Quote from: "Lurcher"
which was a 10cm vertical string at 25 metres...

That's pretty good for a Mahely!  :lol:
--- Cut Here ---

Lurcher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 12:12:34 PM »
The Mahely Carabina is now back together again and ‘functioning’ although I have some issues with its definition of functioning… more on that later.

Basically I rebuilt the rifle using the parts from two rifles as the one I found in bits had a broken receiver.  I had to swap barrels to do this which involved lots of time in the deep freeze for the barrel and some heat on the receiver and then a bit of gentle persuasion to get the two to come together.  The top wood was missing so I had to make up a new piece, this was interesting as I have never seen one of these rifles complete before. I then sprayed the metal parts of the rifle in flat black VHT ceramic engine enamel and the wood with flat black VHT wrinkle. The wood did not come up as well as I would have liked but as this is going to be a knock around gun I guess it does not matter too much.

After waiting for the paint to cure I reassembled the rifle and mounted a 4x scope that I had lying around, looks OK I think. My daughter wanted me to paint it pink… which I can’t really deal with – I am mulling painting it with flat desert pink tiger stripes, or whatever… basically using cutty grass or maybe fern leaves as the stencil and dusting it lightly with the colour.

Now the range report, I paced out 25 metres and stapled a printed target to a tree, the squares are about 1 inch so I am getting off-hand groups that are acceptable.

I did run into some feeding/cycling problems that I think are due to a lack of cleanliness as to be honest I rushed the rebuild and it could have been a bit better (the parts had surface rust when I found the rifle). I will take it apart again and give it a thorough clean and then rebuild it with care, hopefully this will clear up the feed/cycling issues. Basically the rifle would maybe cycle OK for 3-4 rounds and then not throw the hammer back far enough to engage the sear, which then meant that the round could not be fired without manually cycling the action. One other issue I had was that it would occasionally stove pipe, not sure what causes that.

Any way, a few evenings were used up playing in the shed, so whatever the outcome it was better than vegging out in front of the telly.

JimmyJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 03:38:10 PM »
Looks nice. Well done.

What ammo are you using?  sub-sonic or standard ammo?  Sounds like the bolt isn't being blown back far enough (or with enough force).

If you are using subsonic ammo, try std ammo (supersonic).  Also could try freeing up the bolt a little.  Are there any noticebale wear points on the bolt where it is rubbing in the receiver.  A bit of oil might help.

That's as far as my knowledge goes I am afraid.

Lurcher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 08:53:56 AM »
Quote from: "JimmyJ"
Looks nice. Well done.

What ammo are you using?  sub-sonic or standard ammo?  Sounds like the bolt isn't being blown back far enough (or with enough force).

If you are using subsonic ammo, try std ammo (supersonic).  Also could try freeing up the bolt a little.  Are there any noticebale wear points on the bolt where it is rubbing in the receiver.  A bit of oil might help.

That's as far as my knowledge goes I am afraid.

I tried Winchester subs and S&B ammunition, the failure to feed happened with both types... my guess is that I need to get my cleaning gear into action and give the moving parts a dam good scrub and polish....  cheers for your comments JimmyJ

1armoured

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 11:35:06 AM »
Very interesting - thanks for sharing your project with us.

I'm sure the clean and polish will be of benefit,

but the ammo could also be playing a part.

I've found that some semi's will only cycle reliably with higher velocity, and feed with round nosed ammo,
(and not the flatter hollow point type, like the Powerpoint/Win Subs.)

You might want to try a few types, and some higher velocity stuff.

cheers,
SS

* NZRimfire Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Bob Da Browning II: It shoulda been  to go heli hunting rabbits or wallabies ;-)
    October 09, 2014, 05:47:55 AM
  • 2gnscib: No more buying guns for some time, just forked out three and half grand on plane tickets.
    October 05, 2014, 02:22:27 PM
  • 2gnscib: Just wanna shoot someone....ah, something....
    September 27, 2014, 11:07:01 PM
  • Bob Da Browning II: You been online shopping again or just looking forward to going on a hunt?
    September 27, 2014, 08:10:37 PM
  • 2gnscib: [link]
    September 27, 2014, 02:13:58 PM
  • DairyMan: Dr Watson, take her down to 11" [link]
    August 26, 2014, 09:40:10 PM
  • Dr Watson: From high velocity ammo!??
    August 25, 2014, 07:19:11 PM
  • Dr Watson: Ok ok ok.... Currently making a 22lr shorty. How short can a go before I loose velocity from
    August 25, 2014, 07:18:20 PM
  • Bob Da Browning II: 1 of the guys on our Wallaby hunt couldnt help himself & had to bowl a bunch of bunnies as well cos the shotgun was there
    August 23, 2014, 11:38:39 AM
  • Matty-o: I havent been out for some time. Virus got dropped again so very low numbers last autumn near chch
    August 22, 2014, 11:03:24 PM
  • chrome: have visited em once a month over the winter tho
    August 22, 2014, 04:55:22 PM
  • chrome: bunnys are slim in welly where I shoot
    August 22, 2014, 04:54:57 PM
  • Matty-o: What are the rabbit numbers like in your part of the country?
    August 20, 2014, 06:06:29 PM
  • Bob Da Browning II: sounds good, are ya goin to bust out the 700?
    August 19, 2014, 08:46:22 PM
  • 2gnscib: Thinking a road trip to Ashburton
    August 19, 2014, 05:22:11 PM
  • Bob Da Browning II: Are ya ready for a bit of longish range stuff Luke ??
    August 18, 2014, 08:01:21 PM
  • Bob Da Browning II: I got a couple of neices that just had babies so have got them saving the formula tins.............great targets filled with water & whack the lid on
    August 18, 2014, 08:00:40 PM
  • 2gnscib: Fingers itchy
    August 17, 2014, 07:18:51 PM
  • Bob Da Browning II: My 8year old grandson shooting incoming targets on skeet with his .410 = a great day out I reckon
    July 20, 2014, 08:26:41 PM
  • Mintie: sheesh quiet in here
    July 15, 2014, 10:27:52 PM